Monday, January 25, 2010

Walter Nugent Lounge Chair - circa 1960


  
 

It has taken me a few months to ID this Walter Nugent chair. I believe it's a variation on his C-15 lounge chair.This one has rounded legs and seem to have a lower stance than the one on the Canadian Design Resource site (which is the greatest Canadian design site around). There are another couple of different one on Flicker as well. I guess Nugent knocked these out for a decade or so, starting around 1960. The element that gives it away for me, are the chair's arms, there's a distinctive flair in the back 1/3 of the arms.

I love this little guy - we picked him up on the westside of Ottawa (home of best thrifting in Canada) one afternoon. The original upholstery was redone at some point with this jaunty grey wool stripe, there were no tags underneath. I think the wood is teak, but it may be oak or maple (actually it's made from walnut, Thanks John!).

1 comment:

  1. Very nice chair. I have quite a few chairs by Walter Nugent and I thought some were teak at first but I'm almost certain now that they're all Walnut. He also used steel bases but I've never seen one. If there were a label it would be on the lower back cross bar on the inside. Nice find.

    ReplyDelete