Friday, July 2, 2010

DYI Bird Feeder & Bird Bath Project - episode 2


So, I haven't done much posting of late - very sadly, my awesome Dad has become super-sick and is probably going to die sometime soon, so being with my family has been my main focus. But posting on this blog is fun, and I could use a bit more fun in my life these days. Another thing that's provided us with a lot of enjoyment so far this summer has been our bird feeders and bird bath. I sit for long stretches looking at the window at all the action that takes place.

We scored this feeder for a dollar at a garage sale last year. I stuck the section of stovepipe at the bottom because I read somewhere that it would stop the squirrels and chipmunks from climbing up. Fat chance! They leap over it and shimmy up the pole faster than Edwin Moses at a free prostitute giveaway. I guess I need another section of pipe. It's amazing how much sunflower seed these rats with fuzzy tails eat every day. Oh well, I guess we're supporting a whole ecosystem so for right now, they all get a pass. Sonya and I talk daily about getting out the BB gun and starting a chipmunk/squirrel graveyard in the back, but so far, I haven't been able to embrace my inner serial murderer (must watch more Dexter...) so for now, they can live.


This is feeder No.2, the pipe is slightly longer and the chipmunk thieves seem to leave this one more or less alone. It's a favorite of the bluejays and grackles because of its close proximity to our big cedar hedge. They snag their food and retreat to the safety of the hedge to eat.


Somewhere I read that bird baths (and moving water) attract more birds than feeders do. So far they bath has been somewhat accepted & utilized by our feathered friends, but not as much as I'd like. I put the water jug with a hole punched in the bottom to keep a drip going and several of the birds sit directly beneath the drip for the outdoor shower effect. The chipmunks drink out of it as well. I'm pretty impressed with how many different birds drop by in a day for a drink and a bath. I'm thinking about something larger with a solar powered pump for next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment